Eight Exceptional Hotels and Hoteliers Honored During Membership Awards for Exemplary Industry Leadership, Inventiveness & Dedication to their Guests, Employees and Communities
NEW YORK, NY — (December 2021) - The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd.
(LHW) held its 2021 Annual Convention from November 18 – 20 in Lisbon, Portugal. Leaders from LHW’s more than 400 independent, luxury hotels gathered to connect and strategically plan for the future around the conference theme, “Leading Together.” Business sessions, cultural events and a celebratory gala evening took place throughout Lisbon and at LHW’s host properties Tivoli Avenida Liberdade, Pestana Palace Lisboa- Hotel & National Monument, Bairro Alto Hotel and Olissippo Lapa Palace.
The 2021 Annual Convention was particularly meaningful as it was a return to the Company’s in-person event, that was held virtually in 2020. Additionally, the occasion was a moment to celebrate the tenure and successes of Chairman Andrea Kracht. Mr. Kracht, the proprietor of the Baur au Lac, served as LHW’s chairman since 2011. In January 2022, Mr. Kracht will transition his Chairmanship to Mr. Andrea Scherz, owner of Gstaad Palace and current Vice Chairman of LHW’s Executive Committee.
The culmination of the three-day Annual Convention was a glamourous Gala Dinner and Membership Awards Ceremony that took place at the palatial residence of Palácio Correio-Mor. The evening provided an important opportunity to celebrate members for their exemplary industry leadership, inventiveness and dedication to their guests, employees and communities.
The 2021 Leading Hotels award honorees include:
- Leading Legend: Mr. Hans Bruland, former General Manager of The Hay-Adams, Washington, D.C., United States, for his dedication and passion for excellence and quality during his career, that included 20 years of industry-transforming leadership at The Hay-Adams.
- Uncommon Vision: Ms. Deborah Yager Fleming, Chief Executive Officer of Acqualina Resort & Residences, Florida, United States, for developing innovative business solutions during a time of disruption that led to significant business, community and industry effect.
- Member of the Year: Hotel Metropole, Monte-Carlo, Monaco, for demonstrating extraordinary support of, and engagement with the Leading Hotels organization and its programs.
- New Member of the Year: The Newbury Boston, Massachusetts, United States, for its engagement with Leading Hotels and dedication to establishing and maintaining exceptional quality scores.
- Customer Commitment: Ponta dos Ganchos Exclusive Resort, Governador Celso Ramos, Brazil for going above and beyond to ensure its customers’ peace of mind during uncertain times and participating in LHW programs that supported these efforts.
- Change-Makers: Soori Bali, Indonesia, for going to great lengths to support its community and accelerating its local physical, economic, and emotional growth.
- Sustainability Leader: São Lourenço do Barrocal, Monsaraz, Portugal, for its commitment to responsible travel, prioritizing environmental protection and incorporating locally supportive practices into its holistic hospitality experience.
- Remarkable Experiences: Abadía Retuerta LeDomaine, Valladolid, Spain, for delivering unexpected moments and story-worthy guest experiences through innovative service and creative team engagement.
The Leading Legend and Uncommon Vision honorees received an Alpine Eagle wristwatch by Chopard that was recently unveiled at the Eagle Ski Club in Gstaad, Switzerland. Chopard’s family-run business and storied heritage presents many synergies with LHW as a brand and the 2021 Annual Convention was the launch of the two company’s collaboration. All honorees were also presented with a gift from Moët Hennessy, a longstanding sponsor of the Membership Awards and collaborator with LHW. 2020 Membership Award honorees were also acknowledged at the ceremony since the prior year was held virtually.
The 2022 Annual Convention will be held November 17 - 19 in Riviera Maya, Mexico at LHW host hotel, UNICO 20º 87º Hotel Riviera Maya.
About The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd. (LHW)
Comprised of more than 400 hotels in over 80 countries, LHW is the largest collection of independent luxury hotels. In 1928, 38 independent hoteliers came together to create LHW. Since then, the Company has carefully curated distinctive hotels, resorts, inns, chalets, villas, and safari camps from the snow-capped Alps of Europe to the African veldt, to share them with adventurous souls who seek the remarkably uncommon. The LHW community is filled of exceptional individuals, united by a passion for the surprising discoveries and details that come with every experience. LHW hoteliers are artisans of hospitality whose expertise, commitment to excellence, and individual flair allows them to create story-worthy moments for their guests. And it is these authentic, individualized experiences combined with the warm hospitality and high-touch service they provide that keeps discerning travelers returning again and again. LHW’s collection covers the globe and promises a broad range of destinations and uncommon experiences, enhanced by LHW’s tiered guest loyalty program Leaders Club. From converted former palaces, and countryside retreats run by the same families for generations, to gleaming skyscrapers in dynamic urban centers, serene private island escapes, glamorous tented camps – and beyond – explore, find inspiration, and experience unforgettable travel moments. For more information visit: www.lhw.com
, Facebook at @LeadingHotels
, Twitter at @LeadingHotels
and Instagram @leadinghotelsoftheworld